MakingChange hosts Howard County’s free VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) site at the Multi-Service Center located at 9900 Washington Boulevard (Route 1), Laurel, MD 20723.
VITA offers free tax preparation assistance to most individual taxpayers who earn less than $53,000 and to small sole proprietor businesses with claimed deductions less than $10,000. Sole proprietors must be able to use form a C-EZ.
The VITA site also offers free electronic filing, savings bonds and the option to receive refunds via direct deposit onto a debit card. Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program receive their refunds in much less time compared to returns filed on paper — even faster, when tax refunds are deposited directly into a bank account.
The site is open from late January through mid-April.
What To Bring to Your Tax Appointment
- Photo IDs for all taxpayers
- Social Security cards for all taxpayers and all dependents. Other acceptable proof of Social Security Numbers are an SSA letter (with the number), or a Form SSA-1099 statement. ITIN / ATIN cards or letters are also acceptable.
- Bank account and routing number for direct deposit of refund (The number is on your checks)
- Last year’s Federal and State tax returns. Although these are not necessary, they’re highly recommended.
- All W2s and 1099s, including employment, interest, dividends, pensions, IRA disbursements and stock sales.
- Social Security or Railroad Retirement statements
- Alimony received or paid for the year
- If Married Filing Separately, your spouse’s Social Security Number. You’ll also need to know whether your spouse is itemizing deductions.
- A concise list of expenses if you wish to itemize, with receipts and statements
- Property tax records
- Estimated federal and state tax payments
Do you want to prepare your taxes yourself? If you earn less than $60,000 a year, click here to prepare them for free online.
Are you interested in becoming a volunteer tax preparer? Learn more about the opportunity by clicking here.