Executive Director Position Description
MakingChange is a Howard County-based 501(c)(3) organization that empowers individuals and families to achieve financial stability.
Position Overview: This full-time position is responsible for the overall administration and operations of the organization, including: managing and overseeing staff, programs and finances; pursuing grants and other funding opportunities; and maintaining relationships with partners and others in Howard County and other service areas. Programs (live and virtual) include financial coaching, financial seminars, first-time homebuyer counseling, operating two Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites, and hosting or participating in community events related to financial wellness education. Coaching and seminars address a spectrum of matters important to our clients and mission: budgeting, credit repair, savings, scams and shams, eviction prevention (including financial counseling services related to Covid-19 renter assistance programs), mortgage readiness, and first-time homebuying.
Staff, programs, and finances
- Manage staff to deliver quality programs, including expansion into virtual environment, ensuring equity in programs and delivery of services
- Oversee volunteer management system
- Administer data management system to demonstrate program impact
- Maintain document management system, physical office (at Nonprofit Collaborative), and website
- Manage administrative functions including payroll, budgeting, fee-for-service billing, audit assistance, marketing, funder reporting, IT/social media development, required filings (e.g., IRS Form 990) and annual or other registrations/renewals (e.g., federal SAMS renewal, charitable solicitation renewal).
- With other staff, manage email and other inquiries and make referrals to other providers or services as necessary.
Grants and funding
- Identify and pursue diverse funding sources including grants, corporate sponsorships, individual donors, and fee-for-service opportunities
- Oversee the creation of complete and accurate financial statements with the assistance of the bookkeeper
- Promote MakingChange in the community and collaborate with existing and new community partners, social service agencies, government agencies and others – including representing MakingChange at various events and/or on community boards.
- Prepare reports for the Board of Directors; regularly communicate with Board Chair and committee chairs
Other duties as may be required by the Board of Directors
- Commitment to MakingChange’s mission
- Leadership experience (strong preference for nonprofit leadership experience)
- Strong business sense, financial acumen, and organization skills
- Knowledge of personal finance topics
- Experience in building teams, managing a volunteer system, and expanding programs or activities
- Effective communicator, both one-on-one and in groups, including public or virtual presentations
- Proactive approach to developing partnerships with organizations and agencies in the community
- Experience identifying grant opportunities and applying for and managing grants
- Experience planning and executing effective fundraising campaigns
- Understanding and sensitivity to MakingChange’s culturally and socioeconomically diverse client population
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience
- Graduate degree
- Housing or financial counseling certification (if not certified, willingness to pursue certification)
- Experience with one-on-one financial coaching or counseling
- Involvement with VITA sites
- Familiarity with state registration compliance and managing federal/state/local government funding
Please submit your resume to EDSearch@makingchangecenter.org for consideration.
Submission deadline: August 25, 2020
Salary range: $60,000 to $65,000
Opportunities at MakingChange
MakingChange’s mission is to empower individuals and families to achieve financial stability.