MakingChange, a nonprofit in Howard County which empowers individuals and families to achieve financial stability, is hosting free tax preparation services at The MultiService Center in North Laurel and The NonProfit Collaborative in Columbia. The two locations are serving as Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites.
The Howard County sites, like other VITA sites across the country, offer free tax return preparation and filing to most taxpayers who earned up to $55,000 in 2018. The taxpayer’s eligibility for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) will also be determined. This year’s tax deadline is April 15, 2019.
“The VITA site saves families the cost of tax preparation while also ensuring that they receive the tax credits for which they are eligible,” said MakingChange Board Chair Jean Sedlacko. “We encourage taxpayers who receive refunds to pay down their debts and consider saving for future needs. This year’s sites also provide access to other Howard County agencies that can offer additional services for families that need assistance.”
The MultiService Center is located at 9900 Washington Boulevard (Route 1) in Laurel. Free tax preparation services are available Monday, from 4-8 p.m.; Friday, from 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.; and Saturday, from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. Appointments (recommended) can be scheduled at bit.ly/MakingChangeTaxPreparation Click the Laurel option in Schedule Now or call 443-518-7649.
The Non-Profit Collaborative is located at 9770 Patuxent Woods Drive in Columbia. Free tax preparation services are available Tuesday and Wednesday, from 4-8 p.m. Appointments (recommended) can be scheduled at http://bit.ly/MakingChangeTaxPreparation. Click Columbia option in Schedule Now or call 443-518-7649.
When you come to the FREE tax preparation session, bring the following:
- A Social Security card for each family member and photo ID for each tax payer
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in the latest tax year
- Proof of health insurance, including a form 1095 A, B, or C if received
- All tax forms for other income
- Letter from child care provider with address, Tax ID number, name of child and amount paid
- All banking account information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Any document or information about money from the IRS or Maryland
- Any other tax related documents you received
Click here to download a Free Tax Preparation flyer.
Do you want to prepare your taxes yourself? If you earn less than $66,000 a year, click here to prepare them for free online.
Are you interested in becoming a volunteer tax preparer? Learn more about the opportunity by clicking here.