VITA offers free tax preparation assistance to most individual taxpayers and families who earn less than $54,000 and to small sole proprietor businesses with claimed deductions less than $10,000. Sole proprietors must be able to use form C-EZ.
The VITA site also offers free electronic filing, savings bonds and the option to receive refunds via direct deposit onto a debit card. Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program receive their refunds in much less time compared to returns filed on paper — even faster, when tax refunds are deposited directly into a bank account.
The service is available from late January through mid-April.
When you come to the FREE tax preparation session, bring the following:
- A Social Security card for each family member and photo ID for each tax payer
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in the latest tax year
- Proof of health insurance, including a form 1095 A, B, or C if received
- All tax forms for other income
- Letter from child care provider with address, Tax ID number, name of child and amount paid
- All banking account information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Any document or information about money from the IRS or Maryland
- Any other tax related documents you received
Click here to download a Free Tax Preparation flyer.
Do you want to prepare your taxes yourself? If you earn less than $66,000 a year, click here to prepare them for free online.
Are you interested in becoming a volunteer tax preparer? Learn more about the opportunity by clicking here.